141 East 19th Street
A pair of jockeys stand guard over this enchanting 20’ wide, 5 story townhouse, located on one of Gramercy Park’s most delightful tree-lined streets. Long known as “Block Beautiful”, East 19th St. east of Irving Place was part of the original farm Samuel B. Ruggles purchased in 1831 to develop as the Gramercy Park enclave. Quiet, serene and urbane, to this day Gramercy Park retains the sense of bucolic tranquility envisioned by Ruggles in the mid-19th century.
Originally built in 1855, the house was one of several houses on Block Beautiful remodeled by noted architect, neighbor Frederick J. Sterner in 1908. Within few years, Sterner had transformed a drab block into one of gardens peeking through iron balconies with facades of tinted stucco, Mediterranean-styled Arts and Crafts tilework and leaded glass windows.
NY Luxury has written an article, www.nyluxury.com/winter09-RealEstateFeature.pdf.