Luxury Homes and Real Estate - Sotheby’s International Realty

Houston, Texas

Seabrook/Kemah

Seabrook

Seabrook and Kemah are part of southeast Texas’ popular and prosperous Bay Area. Both Seabrook and Kemah are experiencing population growth related to the bustling Houston/Bay Area economy and the new Bayport facility of the Port of Houston.

Seabrook, twenty-five miles from Houston, is a resort, fishing camp, and shrimp-fishing town. It was named for Seabrook Sydnor, son of John Sydnor of the Clear Creek Development Company, who with E. S. Nicholson platted and promoted the town in 1900. The settlement first housed summer residents who arrived on the Suburban, a commuter train that ran twice daily. The town had a post office by 1895. The Galveston Hurricane of 1900 demolished the local school, but by 1905 it had been restored. In 1947, the Albert and Ernest Fay shipyard, capable of handling up to 150 boats, brought workers to the area and expanded the population. Seabrook was incorporated on October 23, 1961. Despite considerable damage from Hurricane Carla, a bridge linking Seabrook and Kemah was completed in 1961.

Seabrook is well-known among Houston metropolitan area residents for its yacht clubs and marinas. Lakewood Yacht Club hosts the Texas Concours d'Elegance "Keels & Wheels" classic car and boat show, the largest of its class in the United States, each year on the first weekend in May. There are eight miles of continuous trails from Hammer Street to Galveston Bay at Pine Gully Park, where the Lucky Trails Marathon is run in March. A popular 5K fun run is held every August.

Kemah

The channel that connects Clear Lake to Galveston Bay divides Seabrook from Kemah in Galveston County. The city was founded as Evergreen in 1898 along the Texas and New Orleans Railroad, when John Henry Kipp and James H. Bradford subdivided their lots to establish a township. The area was also called Shell Siding after the oyster shells lining the bay, in some places twenty to thirty feet deep. Indian burial grounds were later found in these shell reefs. Kipp petitioned for a post office, but was denied as there was already an Evergreen (now incorporated into Cleveland, Texas). Residents were polled and Kemah, the Karankawa word for "wind in face” or "facing the wind" was chosen. Kemah was granted a post office in 1907. Kemah is now primarily a tourist and recreation destination, especially since the Kemah Boardwalk was established in 2001.

Seabrook and Kemah students attend Clear Creek Independent School District public schools. Home prices in the area range upwards from the low-hundred-thousands to the several millions along Seabrook’s Todville Road, Kemah’s Kipp Road and near Kemah’s Corinthian Yacht Club.